Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Thursday, January 13, 2005

2002 Ravenswood, Petite Sirah, Sonoma

This is one of the most appealing young Petite Sirahs I have tasted. It has gobs of forward concentrated fruit with flavors of black cherry, black berry, and oak. The nose has black cherry with hints of smoke and pepper. The wine is very well structured with a long astringent finish. I think this is a very good young Petite Sirah, and considering the price, $18, an outstanding value. I am not sure that Petite Sirahs really improve with age, developing more complex fruit falvors the way Cabernets do, but my experience with aged Petite Sirahs is that they do become less astringent and smoother with aging. This Petite Sirah certainly appears to have the fruit to merit aging. Currently available ($18). My rating 90.

Tasted 1/13/2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home