Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Two 1983 Sauternes


I happen to have these two wines just days apart.


1983 Chateau Raymond-Lafon, Sauternes

Medium dark gold. apricots, peaches and honey on the nose. Apricots, pears, and honey furit flavors, surpisingly high acid, and a long fruity finish. This wine still tastes amazingly youthful, with high, lively acid. I’m guess this will continue to hold and maybe even improve slightly. My rating 89.



1983 Chateau Rieussec, Sauternes


Very dark, amber golden color. Deep aromas of apricots and honey. Apricots, pears, peaches, and honey fruit flavors, good acid, and a long fruity finish. A delicious Sauternes. This wine is not getting any better, drink up. My rating 91.

These are both very good, mature Sauternes, but the Rieussec is clearly the stand out of these two, with deep, more intense fruit flavors. On the other hand, the Raymond-Lafon seems like a young Sauternes with many years ahead of it, while the Rieussec seems fully mature.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father-in law opened a 1983 Rieussec Sauternes Grand Cru (the same you speak about) for dessert at my wife's 34th birthday celebration. It was wonderful!!

What do you think the 375ml bottle would sell for?

Steve

skay011@aol.com

4:23 PM  
Blogger mikeca said...

Full bottles seem to be selling in the $100-160 range, so I am guessing $50-75 for a half bottle, for a bottle that has been stored well.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today is December 24 2010, I've had my 1983 Grand Cru bottle for 20 years, is it too late to enjoy?

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home