Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Monday, May 30, 2005

2002 California Cabernet Sauvignon Tasting

This was a standup tasting at local retailer. All wines are 2002 California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Hess, Estate
Dark garnet. Nose of cherry and plums. Forward fruit of cherry, chassis, and plums, high acid, moderate tannins, and long fruit finish. Good value. $17. My rating 84-88.

Frogs Leap
Dark garnet. Nose of cherry and spicy oak. Rich forward fruit of cherry and currants, high acid, high tannins, and a long fruity finish. Needs some time. Price $31. My rating 87-92.

Sbragia Family, Dry Creek, Andolsen Vineyard
Medium dark garnet. Spicy, earthy nose. Spicy forward fruit with flavors of dill, high acid, moderate tannins, long fruity finish. Price $28. My rating 85-90.

Turnbull
Dark garnet. Oak and cherry on the nose. Forward fruit flavors of cherry with hints of mint, high acid, high tannins and a long fruity finish. Price $30. My rating 87-92.

Cliff Lede, Stags Leap
Dark garnet. Black cherry on the nose. Forward fruit had flavors of black cherry with hints of pencil lead, high acid, high tannins, and long fruity finish. This is a Bordeaux like Cabernet and needs time. Price $41. My rating 88-93.

Joseph Phelps, Napa
Dark garnet. Nose of cherry and plums. Forward fruit of cherry and plums, high acid, moderate tannins, long fruity finish. Price $44. My rating 85-90.

Chappellet, Signature
Dark garnet. Black cherry on the nose. Big black cherry fruit flavors, with high acid, high tannins, and a long fruity astringent finish. This is a big wine that needs time. Price $37. My rating 87-92.

Provenance, Rutherford
Dark garnet. Cherry and chassis on the nose. Forward fruit of cherry and currents, high acid, moderate tannins, moderate fruity finish. This wine is pleasant, but a lighter style. Price $25. My rating 80-85.

Regusci
Dark garnet. Nose had cherry and minerals. Flavors of cherry, raspberry, and chocalate, with high acid, high tannins, and a log fruity finish. This is a big Cab that needs some time. Price $43. My rating 88-93.

Ladera, Howell Mtn
Dark garnet. Nose had black cherry. Black cherry and chassis fruit flavors, with high acid, high tannins, and a long fruity finish. Another big Cab that needs time. Price $50. My rating 87-92.

Titus, Reserve
Dark garnet. Tight nose with hints of cherry. Forward fruit is cherry and raspberry with a slightly burnt, overripe character, high acid, high tannins, and a long fruity finish. Definitely overripe. Alcohol was 15.4%. Price $48. Not rated.

Darioush
Dark garnet. Nose was tight with hints of cherry. Black cherry forward fruit, with high acid, high tannins and a long fruity finish. Needs time. Price $60. My rating 86-91.

Far Niente
Dark garnet. Nose had some cherry. Cherry and chassis fruit flavors, with high acid, moderate tannins and a long fruity finish. Price $80. My rating 85-90.

It looks to me like 2002 was a pretty good year here in California. The Cliff Lede and Regusci were my favorites from these.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home