Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

2002 Ridge Vineyards, Zinfandel, Stone Ranch

Very dark garnet. Nose has red cherry and some oak. Forward fruit is red cherry high acid, moderate tannins, and a long finish with overripe flavors. This is another example of the high alcohol (14.8%), overripe style of Zinfandel that seems to be popular in California. I am not a big fan of this style, but I have had many worse examples. Not rated.

This is an ATP wine from Ridge and it is the first vintage from the Stone Ranch Vineyard. Usually I would have waited at least a few more years before trying this, but while sorting through all the bottles in my cellar to pick out wines to drink during the next 6 months or so, I noticed that there were a few drops of wine leaking through the capsule. This wine is young enough (it was bottled in February 2004) that I doubt the small leak in the cork damaged it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home