Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

1981 Chateau Margaux


Medium dark, brownish around the edges. Open nose with aromas of cherry, cedar and spices. As it aired, the nose developed smoky overtones. Cherry and chassis fruit flavors dominate, with smoke, leather and spices, moderate acid, soft tannins, and a long fruity finish. Margaux is all about fitness and elegance, and this bottle certainly showed plenty of that. It does not have the power or concentration of a Latour, but it is superbly balanced with rich, complex fruit flavors. Definitely ready to drink, and will probably hold for a few more years. My rating 92.

The 1981 vintage of Margaux was overshadowed by the 1982 and 1983 vintages, which at the time were considered powerhouse wines. I have some of the 1983 Margaux and hopefully will get around to trying a bottle of it this year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am looking for 1981 wine for my partner. Do u have any suggestions?

1:35 AM  
Blogger mikeca said...

I would recommend the top 1981 Bordeaux, like this one. There may be some California Cabs that are still good, but the last Ridge Montebello a few years ago had started down hill.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home