Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

1988 Chateau Lamothe-Guignard, Sauternes, 375ml.

Nose has sweet citrus and orange aromas. Flavors are citrus, orange, and pineapple with hint of oak, very sweet, with good acid and long lemony, orange sweet finish. This is a very big style of Sauternes, with big fruit flavors. While this wine oozes sweet, tropical fruit flavors, I thought it lacked a little of the complexity of really great Sauternes. My rating 87.

I am pretty sure I bought this wine on Parkers recommendation. In Parkers 1991 book he says “The 1989 is a blockbuster in the heavy, brawny, outrageously alcoholic, unctuous style that is impressive at first, but that may become tiring. It is an extremely powerful, intense wine, but it comes across as a bully when compared to the charm of the 1988.” Parker then goes on to describe the 1988 as “all finesse”. His description of the bouquet and fruit flavors seems to agree with my impression today, but he describes the 1988 as being charming, but lacking the weight of the 1989.

“Finesse” is not the word I would use to describe this wine! I wonder what the 1989 tastes like today?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. I have two bottles and wanted to know a little more about them.

Any idea how long I should keep these before drinking them?

10:01 AM  
Blogger mikeca said...

I think this wine is mature and ready to drink now.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home