Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, April 24, 2005

1986 Chateau Montelena, Cabernet Sauvignon, Estate

Dark, garnet around edges. Nose had aromas of cherry and plumes. Intense fruit flavors of red cherry, plums and chassis on the palate, high acid, very soft tannins and a long fruity finish. This is a very good, mature California Cabernet. The tannins are very soft. I don’t think it will improve any more with age, but showed no signs of decline yet either. My rating 92.

James Laube in his 1989 book California’s Great Cabernets recommended drinking this wine from 1995 to 2004, which I think is pretty close. He rated it a 93.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait - I'm opening my ONE bottle saturday 09/10 on my step daughters wedding.

Thanks

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home