Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Friday, April 08, 2005

1981 Ridge, Cabernet Sauvignon, Monte Bello Vineyards

Medium color, little brownish around the edges. Nose has cherry, chassis and violet aromas. The fruit had cherry, plums, and chassis with hints of licorice and mushroom earthiness, moderate acid, very soft tannins, and a long fruity finish. This is a very good wine that still has good structure and lots of complex fruit flavors, but it is clear this wine is fully mature and is not improving. My rating 90.

I bought a case of this on futures and a few more bottles from a friend in the mid 80s. I think this is my last bottle. This wine was very tight and not showing much when it was young, but it opened up and started drinking very well in the early 90s. James Laube in his 1989 book on California’s Great Cabernets say to drink 1996-2004, so I would say he called this one very well.

This vintage appears to be currently available from the winery for $350 a bottle. I would expect the winery’s storage to be better than my storage, especially in the 1980s, so a bottle from the winery may well be in slightly better condition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home