Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Friday, June 03, 2005

Inexpensive Australian Tawny Ports

I am always on the lookout for inexpensive desert wines that might be good values, so I decided to try out these two Australian Tawny Ports, since they seemed very inexpensive.

Penfolds Club Reserve, Tawny Port, South Australia, NV
Light, brownish. Open nose with aromas of honey and nuts. Flavors are honey and nuts, very sweet, soft acid, very soft tannins, log fruity finish. This is a very sweet tawny port, too sweet for my taste. It feels like honey flowing over the tongue. I would like to see more fruit flavors. Still, it is a good value, and some people may like this sweet style. Most places seem to be selling this for $9. Trader Joes had it for $7. My rating 80.

Benjamin, Tawny Port, Australia, NV
Medium dark, brownish. Open nose with aromas of dried cherry and oak. Forward fruit is of cherry, and nuts, moderate acid, soft tannins, long fruit finish. This one is not as sweet as the Penfolds and more to my liking. It comes in a funny bottle, shaped sort of like a ink well. Most places probably sell it around $10. Trader Joes had it for $8. My rating 85.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home