Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Thursday, January 27, 2005

2003 Ravenswood, Chardonnay, Sangiacomo Vineyard, Sonoma

This wine has concentrated aromas of citrus and pineapple with hints of oak and butter. The favors are an intense mix of citrus, pineapple, and tropical fruits with high acid and a long buttery pineapple finish. This is an extremely fruity style of Chardonnay, which is completely different than any other Chardonnay I have ever tasted. There was so much ripe tropical fruit on the nose and palette that this wine tasted almost like fruit juice rather than wine. This is not a style I am use to, and I expect many other wine drinkers would find this Chardonnay not to their liking right now. I left the re-capped bottle in the refrigerator for several days, and went back and re-tasted it. The forward fruit gradually declined and the wine changed to very nice Chardonnay with tropical fruit, good acid and a buttery feel to it. Perhaps with a little aging this will be an outstanding Chardonnay. I would like to re-taste this wine in a year or so. Price is $25. There were 300 cases produced. Not rated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home