Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Testarossa Vineyards

I visited Testarossa again to pick up my wine club shipment. Of course I took advantage of the tasting room. Some of the wines I tasted were the same as ones I had tasted last month, and they all seemed a little tighter this time. The tasting room was very busy, so the bottles had probably not been open very long, where as last time things were slower in the tasting room. Here are my notes:

2003 Castello Chardonnay, Central Coast
Nice nose of lemon, with touch of oak. Citrus and lemon fruit flavors with high acid, a long fruity finish and a touch of buttery oak. The 2003 was just released and looks to be a very nice Chardonnay for drinking right now. Production was 2234 cases. A good Chardonnay for the price ($26). My rating 85.

2003 Rosella’s Vineyard Chardonnay
The nose seemed closed, with a little bit of citrus. The fruit had strong citrus flavors with hints of minerals, high acid, and a long citrus finish. The wine seemed very tight. When I tried this in January it seemed more open than this time. It has potential but needs another six months or a year to open up. Only 220 cases were produced. A tight Chardonnay which needs a little time ($36). My rating 86.

2002 Palazzio Pinot Noir
Cherry and earth on the nose. Fruit flavors were red cherry, earthy and stemy. It had high acid and long finish with moderate tannins. The most pleasant of the 3 Pinots I tried for drinking right now, but it seemed more open a month ago. 2453 cases produced. A nice California Pinot Noir ($32). My rating 80.

2003 Bien Nacido Vineyard Pinot Noir – Elder Series
Nose had cherry, plums with earthy overtones. The flavors were tight red cherry with underlying earthiness. It had high acid and a long finish with considerable tannins. This wine also seemed tighter than my previous tasting in January. The Bien Nacido Vineyard is in the Santa Maria Valley near Santa Barbara. The Elder Series designation apparently refers to the vineyard blocks. 428 cases produced. A very nice, if somewhat pricey Pinot Noir that needs a little time to open up ($54). My rating 87.

2002 Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir
I got Cherry and chocolate with hints of barnyard on the nose. The fruit had black cherry, coffee, and chocolate, with oak. It had high acid, and a long hard, tannic finish. I think this Pinot has a interesting flavors, but it is very tannic for current drinking. 374 cases produced. A Pinot Noir with potential that needs some aging ($54). My rating 90.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home