Mike's Wine Blog

My wine tasting notes, both current releases and older wines from my cellar.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

1981 Chateau Margaux

Wine is medium garnet, brownish around the rim. Nose is chassis and red cherry, with some spiciness. The forward fruit is red cherry, currants and chassis. On the finish the fruit takes on hints of leather and licorice. It has moderate acid and still has some astringent tannin on the long fruity finish. This is an elegant, complex Bordeaux that is probably at its peak and will continue to hold for a few more years at least. My rating 92.

This wine continued to developed more complexity as it aired in the glass. I had half a bottle left the first night, which I pumped down and saved for the next day. It was still very good the second night, with the fruit more open than the first night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home